Wednesday, November 25, 2015

New Work: Wood at the Lake II, oil on panel 24 x 24 / Two December exhibits



Wood at the Lake II
Oil on panel, 24 x 24 inches sold
Sorelle Gallery, New Canaan, CT



Wood at the Lake
Pastel on sanded paper, 15 1/2 x 14 inches
Sold, private collection

Wood at the Lake is the pastel I did as a demo for the Pastel Society of Colorado and it turned out to be the study for the 24 x 24 oil on panel.  After I got the pastel home, I began the oil and almost finished it before bringing it to the Pastel Society Workshop the following weekend. The workshop was for oils and pastels, so I brought the unfinished oil along.

I got very close to the finish but kept making it too tight. It was illuminating to discuss and work on it wth the class, pointing out the problems and possible solutions.

Once the oil was in the studio I let it dry and with a very concentrated effort, I resolved the transition between the background and the left edge of the trees. I kept adding more complexity but not in an illustrative way. Both of these images are now available as limited edition giclee prints.

It is unusual for me to do an oil this small but it is part of a display for my upcoming exhibit in the Denver metro. I'll be in Houston for my one-man show on the same December 4 date.




Group Show with the Expand Artists: Lone Tree Arts Center, CO
Artist's Reception: Saturday, December 5, 5-7pm
Running Dialogue with the "To Expand" group of artists exhibiting together again: Victoria Eubanks, Janice McDonald, Carol Ann Waugh, Mary Williams and Ken Elliott.
10075 Commons Street, Lone Tree CO. 80124 map


One-Man Show: Arden's Gallery River Oaks, Houston
Artist's Reception, Saturday, December 5, 6-9pm
2143 Westheimer, Suite B, Houston, Texas 77098 map


A very large canvas of this image will be in the works soon.
My happy  thanks to the buyer of the pastel!



No comments:

Post a Comment