Thursday, July 19, 2012

Workshop video: making the perfect semi-gloss varnish for your oils

Being varnished:
"Golden Moment Against the Reds"
oil on canvas,  48 x 48 inches

Here is a foolproof method to varnish your oil paintings with a semi-gloss finish.  They will be ready for transport the next day and will be virtually odorless after drying.

Note that Ken is applying the varnish in his garage and they will dry there overnight and without the fumes in your home or studio.  There are more formal ways to do the final varnish to oil paintings, but since my oils are recently created, they are not ready for a final varnish, so I'm using retouch varnish here. The end result is a perfect, semi-gloss finish that is ready to hang in 24 hours.

Thank you, Forrest Moses for showing me this valuable technique.

8 comments:

  1. Your videos are turning out awesome! I am setting up my own oil studio (in the barn, for now) and was wondering about this very thing. I learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....can't wait to see you varnishing up all your new masterpieces on canvas! You do learn... too fast for the rest of us, so thank you for sharing your wisdom with us all.

      Delete
  2. I love these videos, Ken.
    Their informal, if not downright loopy, presentation makes all things professional look possible.
    I look forward to more more more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are spot on.... loopy and professional is apparently my forte. I'll take that compliment. I just checked our your blog, love it and I'm a fan now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video, Ken! I've given up on varnishing because I couldn't get consistent results. I'm going to try this and pass it on to my students. Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I was at wits end as well, so keep passing on this good info.
      Thank you!
      Ken

      Delete
  5. Awesome video Ken - I too am going to try this! I assume that if one wanted, you could repeat this procedure to the same painting over the course of a few days in order to build up the glossy effect?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure about building it up, but logic says that is what will happen. Just make sure that your coats are done evenly.

    ReplyDelete