Monday, September 28, 2015

New Work: View to the Foothills, High Contrasts, oil on canvas, 40 x 40

View to the Foothills, High Contrasts, oil on canvas, 40 x 40 inches

This is an interpretation of the view behind my home and studio. I'm so happy to be free from making a portrait of landscapes. My view barely resembles what you see here. In this oil the colors and contrasts have taken over, bringing the artwork to a dramatic edge.

Here's the best part. I picked up a canvas that was a problem child. It had been sitting in a stack of unfinished canvases for about three years. I put it up on the easel and in fast, broad strokes painted this new image over the old one. It felt great as I covered up that unsolved mess with a bright, new idea. Some of the old came through and created wonderful effects in places, a nice bonus!

Now I have a study for a larger idea and I'm back to the studio to make a bigger horizontal version.

No comments:

Post a Comment