Tuesday, June 9, 2015

New Works: Chromatic Forest oil on canvas




Chromatic Forest
Oil on canvas, 30 x 40 inches

I began this oil as a demo at my Making it Fine Art Workshop in Marshfield, MA last year. Sometimes the creation of artwork is not a logical or linear process and this oil is a good case in point.

The oil began nicely - a very nice start and one of the teaching points of the demo. Once it was shipped back to my studio, I did a bit more work on it but didn't have a clear direction of where I wanted it to go.

Since there are always others oils in progress, my attention was drawn to other canvases. Months later I was going through the stacks of unfinished oils and found this 30 x 40 behind a number of larger canvases. Once I saw it again, some fresh ideas and directions came to mind using lavender and aquas in the forest. The unexpected foliage color set up the light in the background nicely and I was able to achieve a balance of transparency and density. The oil then became a playground for more colors, contrasts and atmosphere.


No comments:

Post a Comment