Monday, June 6, 2022

New Work: Soft Slope Pastel on sanded paper

 

Soft Slope Pastel on sanded paper

12 5/8 x 12 5/8 inches

Exhibiting: Dominique Boisjoli Fine Art, Santa Fe, NM

In the studio

Framed, $1750 To purchase


About this pastel:

This is a scene I saw on the way to an art workshop I was putting on in Nebraska. It was a very overcast day with greys and greens in all directions.


I was attracted to create this pastel because of the appealing slope of the meadow and the few bits of vegetation receding back into the space. The band of trees and the larger hills in background had possibilities. The grey day presented a challenge I was happy to take on.


My focus was on the composition and how to make it more interesting and with the color considerations secondary. Once I put in the first few marks, that grey day went out the window right away and it opened up a number of more appealing options.


After some false starts, the meadow and sky became patterns of direct color and it led me to open up the texture of the trees and hills in the background.


There was still a lot of back and forth with ideas coming and going, but when I added the pink and shadows to the far hills, the entire pastel fell into place, instantly creating more depth and appeal.


I don’t miss that hazy day at all.





No comments:

Post a Comment