Monday, August 7, 2017

New Work: Glittering Forest, oil on canvas, 48 x 36

Glittering Forest, oil on canvas, 48 x 36  $5800 unframed
Sorelle Gallery, New Canaan, CT

I can assure you, it took a lot of sessions in the studio before any glittering appeared in this oil. The difficult part about painting is to keep it fresh (if that is the goal) and the more time spent on the canvas, the easier it is to loose the spontaneous look. It also increases the odds of any number of bad things happening.

This painting went through 5 or 6 big changes and once the composition came together, I declared it finished, photographed it and declared it a good day.

When I returned to the studio the next morning, it was apparent that something had been lost along the way. As it often happens, I think my just-finished oils are really good until the next day.

That's OK, because it's an opportunity to take the painting further, and I jumped right in with much brighter colors. Since I was painting over a slightly duller background, those brights began to sing! Additional colors were added to the mix and while I was putting on the last strokes, the title came to me, Glittering Forest!




No comments:

Post a Comment