Friday, July 17, 2015

New Work: Ocean Patterns, oil on canvas, 36 x 36 inches


Ocean Patterns
Oil on canvas, 36 x 36 inches
$4200 unframed

This is an oil started as a demo in my June, Making it Fine Art Workshop at my home / studio in Castle Rock, CO.  This is my first seascape in oil, but since we were all in class to make some new moves, I was compelled to begin an ocean canvas for the first time.

It all began with a good start, locating the brightest and darkest parts of the scene, freely using a variety of colors - some arbitrary to keep things interesting. I had severely cropped the source photo from a recent trip to Galveston, TX. This image represents just a fraction of the original photo. 

I kept the brush marks loose and free. As it turned out, any number of color combinations could have been used here and I will do so in future versions. My focus to was make an engaging work of art without being too representational. There is much for the eye to take in with the overall textures and colors shifting along the vertical and horizontal directions.

This three foot square oil is a nice success, a sketch for larger works to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment