Monday, January 2, 2023

In the Studio, January 1, 2022


I wanted to record this small portion of works  progressing in the studio today. There are a dozen others in play but this shot will bring back good memories in the future.

Every day is a new day in the studio and change is a constant. I start with an idea and as the painting develops, there are constant surprises and unexpected problems. Regardless, they are deviations from that original concept and adjustments are required. 

Sometimes the appropriate change is a thoughtful tweak or something more dramatic, but it is the change that is constant. There is always something new that is needed to bring a painting to completion and I enjoy the challenge.

New starts will be made this week and those new canvases will shift the feel of the studio. At some point, all the canvases take on a life of their own. They are very demanding, with each one wanting to be brought to fulfillment and it’s is a joy, (sometimes grrrr) to be invited into the process.

Here’s a peek into one of my two studios. All of these canvases are well-along and will be completed soon, with the larger ones at 4 x 5 feet. I do like to see them temporarily sitting in the floater frames as shown here because it’s a good way to see the works differently and to better understand what else is needed.

Thank you for sharing this first day with me.

I wish you all a marvelous New Year full of joy and sweet fulfillment. There will be changes and I hope they are all in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment