Monday, April 4, 2016

In the Studio: April 4, 2016


Here are some of the oils in progress from today. 

At the upper left is a 4x5 oil that may be complete. It seems to be in good shape, but I've perched it on the wall to keep a close eye on it. The idea is to keep it fresh and not work on it just to stay busy. So far my 'dialogue' with the work tells me there isn't anything left to do.

Just below that on the floor, left is a 3 x 5 oil that was painted over a previous oil that came to a dead end. I kept that canvas around for about 3 years and this week I finally painted over it with a new idea. The composition sprang from the  finished 24 x 24 oil on the floor, right. The 3 x 5 looks very spontaneous - it was, and I'm inclined do a few small things and declare it worth art!

On the easel is a recent theme that sprang from a pastel demonstration for the Colorado Pastel Society recently. This 36 x 36 oil represents a good start and once it dries for a few days, I'll eagerly continue it.

On the easel back right is a 30 x 48 oil that has been in progress for about a month. I'm just adding a few things from time to time and enjoying the incremental progress. It's so easy to overwork something like this (I can be the expert at that) so I'm much aware of avoiding that trap.

Now that I think of it, the entire studio is a representation of a number of good starts and overworking is nowhere to be seen.

This is the beauty of having a large number of works in progress because I never feel pressured to finish that One. There is always another start to make or another canvas that calls out for attention.

I'll be back in the studio again today to create more puzzles and bring some of these oils to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment