Sunday, January 31, 2016

Grateful Notices: Trees in Half Shade Oil on canvas, 36 x 36 inches


Trees in Half Shade  Oil on canvas, 36 x 36 inches
Private collection

I was thrilled that this work was quickly purchased by collectors this weekend. They told me it looks striking in the space and we are both very happy with the outcome.


Here is some information about this piece from a previous post, January 11, 2016:


This was a demo from a recent workshop. The entire idea was to make a good start and that was the case here. When I came back to the canvas about a month later, I could clearly see a number of options and I wasn't bogged down in trying to undo too many problems.


Problems are welcomed since they create opportunities and new directions, but in this case, that good start gave me the clarity to proceed. Once I decide to keep it loose, the more color was added very directly, with open strokes.


I thought the oil was finished, but realized that there wasn't enough contrast and the painting looked a bit weak. The painting was on an easel across the studio when I saw the problem, so i grabbed a dark blue-green that was on the palette and started adding it to the foliage and where the shapes made contact to the ground.


The painting came alive with the new darks and now it required some stronger colors to keep up. Adding the brighter color was pure fun and I was a bit disappointed with the oil declared itself done.


I'm very happy with the way this oil evolved and turned out and I'm looking forward to using this as a study for a much bigger one!

No comments:

Post a Comment