Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Grateful Notices: Bright Encounter, pastel


Bright Encounter
Pastel on sanded paper, 15 x 15 3/8
Private collection, Ohio

Also available as a limited edition giclee print in three sizes

A few years ago, I began to notice the works of Casey Klahn. He is doing some seriously good pastel works with Very Good and thoughtful color. I wanted to spend some time with him, so we cooked up a workshop for him in Denver, my home.

He had a great turnout and I was in the back of the room with my pastels. At the start of the day, I began an image of trees and a creek - something I was comfortable doing. I didn't have a photo but it wasn't necessary. The start went really well and we stopped for lunch. On my return I realized my start could use a lot more punch or interest. The idea of the class was to break some new ground after all, so it gave it a shot and totally ruined the nice start I had before lunch.

What to do? 

I turned it upside down, filled in some of the awful areas with color and something new emerged! It was this field with a creek at the top. In short order, this very interesting image emerged.

I couldn't make the yellow field work, so I grabbed a color that was not already in the drawing, a pink. I had no ideal what it would do, but it was worth a chance. Sweet!

It needed more, so looking around the room, I stole a red that Casey was using in one of his works for my trees at the top. It worked nicely and with a few tweaks here and there, the pastel was finished.

You would think I knew what I was doing in the back of the room. 

Ken


6 comments:

  1. Hey! I recognize that red!

    This incredible work is my bragging rights for the workshops - thanks for doing it and for being the great artist you are, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! Or maybe it was the BBQ and margaritas?
    You are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outcome, Ken! Once, my teacher/mentor/friend had me turn a painting upside down in class to work it that way. Sometimes wonderful things come out of "experiments!" (Jane Memory Gruber)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! That is a terrific way to 'edit' your work - turn it upside down and see what it needs.
    Thanks Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how much I love the back of the room!! Great color and movement...it's an exciting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carly. That is your forte!

    ReplyDelete