Monday, September 2, 2013

New Oil: Evening Cloud Layers

Evening Cloud Layers
oil on canvas, 30 x 30 inches

This is an oil that I started when teaching the art class at the Madden Museum with Casey Klahn this summer. I'm very happy with the layering of the color and the variations of color and brightness. This work was 'good enough' a number of times, but I continued to take it further. I would be convinced it was done after a painting session and the next day it just didn't thrill. After a few more days of large and small moves, it continued to please and it was declared finished.

 It was one of those paintings I could continue to tinker with but it took it as far as I want it to go. I'll use this oil as a launch for a much larger version. I always learn with every canvas and I'm looking forward to seeing where this composition takes me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment