Here is a new oil, completed today, "Fall Remnants," oil on canvas, 48 x 60 inches.
In the course of doing this oil, I found that as I was approaching the finish, I had limited my options in depth, color and contrasts. With all my efforts, is was less than.... something.
This was a successful oil until I decided that it could be much better somehow. It all happened in the last painting session. I added a light aqua to the upper right, then heightened the golds in the sky. I pushed off hard on the purple area in the trees and that in turn, made me want to shift the blues from left to right. So, to counter the purple and add more drama, I made the blues on the left much brighter, making more depth and much more interest. I reduced the purples a bit for balance.
With all of that in the background, I heightened the oranges and added more greens to the sparse foliage. Then finally, I repainted the entire foreground enriching the overall effect.
It all happened so very fast and all in response to the painting going to the higher level. All it took from me was the willingness and some risk-taking. The end result is a richly colored and textured scene that I was happy to put into the world. I'm so glad I went along for the ride.