Friday, September 18, 2015

New Work: Lake Shadows oil, 30 x 30 inches

Lake Shadows oil on canvas, 30 x 30 inches

For this oil I set out to do a clean and simple composition. Once I blocked it in, the painting immediately became a very high contrast image with abundant darks and lights. I wanted the yellows and blues to be luminous and compelling. As it progressed, a surprising number of colors were used to keep the sky and darks interesting.

The entire painting is designed to support the glow in the sky and land. Compositionally, the horizon line is tilted to add more interest and details are reduced, making the light effects the central feature of the painting.

Spoiler alert:  When I blocked in the water I had a 'dirty' pink brush, so I quickly dashed in some of the pink color. Then I put the orange border in and loaded a brush with bright yellow. My idea was to quickly put in the yellow reflection. I added the yellow in heavy against the orange and quickly filled in the rest of the yellow over that pink with less paint.

Interesting! The water came to life instantly and forced the direction of the entire painting. I was very attentive at that point and added very little to the water going forward. It is full of light and not overworked.

That was fun.. now for the larger version!

No comments:

Post a Comment